Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Literacy Narrative Prep


“Lydia’s Story” by Jan Brideau

1.       Visual description: “When she opened the front door, the whole street looked like a river, and water poured in. She described it as “rushing like the Colorado River.” She knew that if she went outside, she would be swept up in the current and drown. There was no one in sight.” (p 129, par. 2)

 

“Proficiency” by Shannon Nichols

2.       Dialogue: “That time I did cry, and even went to my English teacher, Mrs. Brown, and asked, “How can I get A’s in all my English classes but fail the writing part of my proficiency test twice?” She couldn’t answer my question.

 

“How in the World Do You Get a Skunk Out of a Bottle?” by Robert J. Connors

3.       Sensory Descriptions: “The sandy dirt of Canterbury Road is just right as I pant my way past Johnson’s hayfield. The air cool enough for delight but not cold enough for long johns and stocking cap, the early sun slanting low. No sound but my labored breathing and the chunking noise of sneakers on dirt.”

4.       Loved to read mystery books in fifth grade

Used to love to write stories to express myself

Never really liked reading things I didn’t want to read

Don’t like being forced to write

 

Consider your Rhetorical Situation:

5.       I want to tell this story mainly just to complete the assignment, but also to reflect on how my enjoyment in reading began but faded throughout the years.

6.       Often time’s people fade out of things they used to enjoy so I think it will be quite easy for my classmates to relate to my narrative.

7.       I wish to be sincere in my narrative.  I want to provide all the details necessary about my joy for reading at an early age. But, I also want to convey the fact that in some ways it’s a bit sad I don’t keep up with something that was once a passion of mine. Also, reading is one of the best ways to gain intelligence, which makes it even more important for me to start up with it again. Also, I want my readers to see me as someone who has lost touch with something that is vital to early education, but that I am also determined to “pick up a good book” again.

8.       This literacy narrative will be posted on my blog, which should make it very easy to attach photos and provide colors and other details.

9.       Inside there are bright colors of yellows, blues, and purples. The alphabet in one corner and a number chart cattycorner. Books are on a large shelf next to the little backpacks diagonal from the little chairs and desks.

10.   Sounds of children screaming and laughing fill the room, as the teacher just as loud, tries to hush them.

11.   The smell of glue and construction paper are prominent in one corner, where peanut butter and jelly sandwiches fill the other. The soft smell of a library book and juice swarm where I am sitting.

12.   I feel joy yet also await the next line of the suspenseful novel. Ultimately whenever I read a Nancy Drew book I felt excited, because every page was filled with mystery and anticipation. I also felt content. Just a little 10 year old awaiting each new chapter of her favorite book series of all time.

13.   Again, I would taste juice almost every day as an elementary student. PB&J and little cookies also made their way into my tummy sometimes before lunchtime.

14.   I see mostly children with colors of navy blue, white, hunter green, and khaki. All between the ages of 5 and 11, either learning, playing, or chatting. Their chirping voices were quick but tiny, as they swung on the swing set and played tag on the basketball court.

15.   “What’re you reading?”

“Nancy Drew, my favorite!”

16.   When I was in elementary I absolutely adored reading. Especially the Nancy Drew series. But, as I grew older I started to lose touch with my passion for reading. The older you get, the busier you get. And reading didn’t become a priority like it used to be. I remember even in elementary and early middle school having to sometimes turn to a new book series until they got in a new Nancy Drew book that I hadn’t read yet.

17.   Writing about this topic is significant to me now because I hope that it will allow me to jump back into reading. By reflecting on what reading did for me, especially as a young child, may encourage me to pick up a book again and step into the fantasy world that allowed me to be creative and express myself. Also, now that I am much older I have so many more options and choices for literature. I can read a fantasy novel; or I can find a book about a religion that I am interested in. The possibilities are absolutely endless. This story matters to me because reading mattered so much to me as a child. I’d like to connect with novels again like I did years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment